It's only April and temperatures are already in the upper 90's! Hydration is so important for your children’s health and development. Dehydration can affect your child’s ability to focus and perform, both physically and mentally. Here are some tips for keeping your kids hydrated.
Marathon Kids, a local nonprofit with a mission to get kids moving and set them on the path of good health, and Aquasana, the maker of water filtration products for the home and on-the-go, have teamed up to make sure parents have all the right tools to help their kids stay healthfully hydrated.
With a shared belief that proper hydration is essential for childhood wellness and development, these two Austin-based organizations are sharing their best advice for getting kids to drink more water. And these tips will be especially important as temperatures seasonally rise across Central Texas and dehydration becomes more commonplace.
How to keep kiddos hydrated
Stefanie Ediger, Marathon Kids’ Director of Training and Education, was a physical education coach for 10 years, so you could say she knows a thing or two about encouraging young children to drink their water. Below are 10 tips from Stefanie to help kids get their daily fill of H2O:
- Be a role model - It's important to lead by example when it comes to hydration. If you choose to drink water regularly your kids will too!
- Filter your water - Filtering your water not only makes it taste better, but it’s also better for you too.
- Start every morning with water - We lose water while we sleep, so it's important to rehydrate first thing in the morning. Adding 8 oz. of water to your breakfast routine is a great place to start.
- Make water easily accessible - Keep cups and filtered water within easy reach for kids. Easy access means kids are more likely to go for H2O.
- Give water a flavor boost - We love to add fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs to water for more flavor and a vitamin boost. Click here for some of our favorite recipes.
- Bottle your own water - Carrying a reusable bottle of water means you and your kids can hydrate wherever you go.
- Keep it cold - Cold water tastes better and can encourage your kids to drink more of it. Try enhancing cold water with frozen fruit to keep things tasty and colorful.
- Educate - It's never too early to teach kids why it's important to stay hydrated. Educating kids now helps them make better decisions in the future, which is what Marathon Kids is all about.
- Eat lots of water-rich foods - Eating water-rich foods like cucumbers, watermelon, milk, and spinach, is a great way to sneak in extra hydration!
- Accessorize - Make drinking water fun with cool reusable straws and reusable water bottles that can be decorated and customized with stickers.
Establish a strong foundation for a healthy life
Both Marathon Kids and Aquasana are dedicated to helping Central Texas kids establish healthy habits early on and know proper hydration is a key part of the equation.
“We’re dedicated to supporting overall wellness by providing easier access to healthy, great-tasting water,” said Derek Mellencamp, General Manager at Aquasana. “Good nutrition and physical activity are important to schoolchildren now more than ever, and we’re thrilled to support Marathon Kids in helping them establish strong foundations for a long and healthy life.”
If you’d like to learn more about why hydration is important for kids’ health, how much water your kiddo needs to drink, how to get involved with Marathon Kids, and more, click here.
We're giving away (1) one reusable water bottles to (2) two lucky readers. You pick the color!
How to enter:
- Like our Facebook page
- Like our Marathon Kids and Aquasana Facebook post.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and with your name and email address and Marathon Kids Giveaway in the subject line.
ALL actions required.
The giveaway ends at noon on April 19, 2021.
Get the Scoop
Like reading our blog? Get our blog posts delivered via email and follow us on Facebook!
This is a sponsored blog post.