Do you buy and sell items online on Facebook groups or sites like Craigslist, OfferUp or letgo? If so, have you ever heard or made use of "Safety Exchange Zones" many police stations have created to keep you safe during your transaction?
The idea of the "Safe Exchange Zone" is to provide a place where people can safely complete internet purchases and to cut down on potential fraud, theft, robberies, or violence that can be associated with these types of transactions.
Here's a list of Safety Exchange Zones in and around Austin:
Austin Police Department
715 E 8th St Austin, TX 78701
Directions Parking Lot: 24/7; Lobby: During business hours
Georgetown Police Department
3500 D B Wood Rd Georgetown, TX 78628
Email Directions 24/7; Lobby during business hours
Leander Police Department
Leander Drive Leander, TX 78641
Manor Police Department
308 E. Parsons Street Manor, TX 78653
Police lobby available during business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.). 24-hour use of parking lot
Pflugerville Police Department
1611 E. Pfennig Lane Pflugerville, TX 78660
Lobby during normal business hours (daylight), 24-hour parking lot
Round Rock Police Department
2701 N. Mays St. Round Rock, TX 78665
Parking Lot: 24/7; Lobby: Daily 8am to 5pm
San Marcos Police Department
2300 S Interstate 35 San Marcos, TX 78666
Parking Lot: 24/7; Lobby: business hours
Williamson County Sheriff's Office
508 S. Rock Street Georgetown, TX 78626
Parking Lot: 24/7; Lobby: during business hours
Safety tips police wants you to keep in mind:
- Only do transactions with local buyers/sellers
- Do not go to a transaction alone
- Make sure a friend or family member is aware of the transaction details
- Insist on meeting in a public area like our “Safe Exchange Zone”
- Do not go into someone else’s house, and do not allow them into yours
- Complete the transaction during daylight hours
- Be extra cautious when buying or selling valuable items such as vehicles and jewelry
- Trust your instincts, if it sounds like a scam it probably is
- If someone is not willing to come to the police department to do a transaction it is probably not a legitimate transaction.
Stay safe, everyone!
Other Ways to Buy and Sell New and Used Items
Live Grow Play Buy, Sell, Trade Message Board
Buy, sell, or trade new and gently used maternity, baby, and kids items on our Buy, Sell, Trade message board. Please apply all the safety tips listed above.
Second Hand Stores
Second Hand Stores in the 512 range from every day clothes and toys to formal and boutique clothes for kids ages 0-18. Find a store near you.
Consignment Sales Events
Every spring and fall consignment sales events in Central, North and South Austin, as well as Cedar Park, Leander, Pflugerville, and Round Rock help you declutter your closets and stock up on new and gently used clothes and toys for your little ones, baby gear, or maternity items. Here's a list of all the Consignment Sales events happening in and around Austin.